Friday, December 2, 2011

Sometimes I Know Things

Today's microbiology lecture topic was antibiotics. Sounds perfect, right? Ugh. It's known to be a rather droll class- just straight lecture from PPT for an hour. The professor is allergic to penicillin, so he decided to make that a big feature of the lecture. On the slide titled "Cephalosporins," he wrote "Can be used in patients with penicillin allergy." BAM. To be honest, I'm not doing that well in the class, but I'll be darned if I haven't learned this much working four years in retail. So I went to him after class and casually mentioned "Hey, I thought first-generation cephs had a 10% cross-over with patients with PCN allergies?" His reply? Essentially, "I don't really know." And turned away and kept packing his computer! I stood there gaping like a fish for a while, then thanked him and left. What the heck am I paying this guy's salary for?! Then I went to my political science class and had a great class-wide debate on national health care, which made up for it.
Then I went to work, where I got to fight with some guy who wanted a free replacement bottle of cefdinir suspension because he dropped the first one and it broke (those things are like $100!), and then some lady wanted to know the manufacturing locations of all sorts of OTC meds, brand and generic, because "she doesn't want ones not made in America, and she has the right to know." But hey, the good outweighs the bad 95% of the time

No comments:

Post a Comment